Depression CounselingOvercome depression with skilled and compassionate counselors.
Depression Counseling with LifePaths Counseling Center
Depression can be one of the most challenging mental health issues to cope with. Not only does it feel terrible, but the very nature of depression can make it difficult to reach for the things that can help, often resulting in a cycle that keeps a person suffering.
There are different types of depression and many possible symptoms. A few of these symptoms or warning signs are listed below. If you suspect that you or someone you know may be coping with depression, get in touch with a counselor or doctor.
Ask for help. And of course, if you feel like it is an emergency or someone may be in danger, call 911 or go to your nearest hospital.
Depression is not simply feeling sad or down, it can be much more serious and debilitating.
Depression Warning Signs and Symptoms
- Feeling Sad
- Feeling Irritable
- Lack of Energy
- Change in sleeping or eating habits
- Reduced sex drive
- Inability to concentrate
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Crying Spells
- Unexplained physical pain/headaches
There is hope for overcoming depression. A counselor can help you to both gain insights about what may be contributing to your depression as well as develop coping skills to alleviate symptoms. Sometimes antidepressant medication can be helpful.
Some alternative therapies and ideas you can use to help feel LESS depressed are:
- Get Daily Exercise
- Eat Healthy Food
- Get Plenty of Sleep or Rest
- Get outside to enjoy fresh air and sunshine.
- Seek support of friends or family.
- Gain support through your faith or spirituality
- Listen to uplifting music.
- Watch an inspiring movie or read an inspiring book.
- Be Creative – do creative activities.
- Find an opportunity to serve others,
- Use guided imagery for relaxation.
- Focus on positive thoughts.
You can find more ideas for stress management, self care, or healthy coping skills in our self care client handout as well. (go to Forms & Downloads at the bottom of the page, or get in touch with us)