Toxic Relationship Support Group – Boundaries of Steel
We are accepting requests to join future groups: The next groups with openings will begin Tuesday, September 28, 2021 and Monday, October 4, 2021 – please send us a request soon as the groups tend to fill up very fast!
This toxic relationship support group is for people who are in a relationship with a person with qualities that you might consider toxic, narcissistic, abusive, or harmful; or who have been in the past. We hope to help you strengthen your self and your relationship skills, and we’ve called it Boundaries of Steel. That is possibly the most important skill you need – strong boundaries.
Along with talking about many ideas and situations related to boundaries, we discuss topics such as:
- Healthy versus unhealthy relationships
- Attachment styles
- Family of origin issues
- Understanding, forgiving, and healing your self
- Manipulation “techniques” (and why they do that)
- Covert narcissism and other characteristics that get in the way of being healthy together
- How it got like this, and how to keep from getting in a similar relationship again
- Grief – the loss of what the relationship should have been, among other losses
- Healing trauma bonds
- Realistic expectations for the future if you stay in this relationship
We know this is a hard situation to deal with! Let’s help each other figure it out.
You’ll be part of a group of people who have had similar experiences, who will be able to support you the best anyone can, because they will have true knowledge of what you are or have been experiencing. Sharing each others’ stories and support in these groups is absolutely priceless.
You’ll learn valuable skills, both from the counselor and from each other, as well as sharing your own skills and knowledge.
Please join us!
Please click here to submit a request to join, we will schedule an intake meeting to discuss the details of the group and determine whether it is a good fit for you. We welcome these requests at any time: day, night, weekend, or holiday. We usually respond during usual business hours, so there could be a delay in getting a response from us. If you don’t hear from any of us within 48 business hours, something went wrong and we would appreciate it if you would contact us again!
Groups are conducted by one of the counselors at LifePaths Counseling Center, upcoming groups are listed below with the time and counselor who will facilitate.
Groups meet weekly via TeleHealth unless otherwise noted. We hope to return to in person meetings as soon as possible. Upcoming group days/times:
- Thursdays, beginning September 16, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; facilitated online by Jenn Bourdeon (standard seven week group)
- Tuesdays, beginning September 28, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; facilitated online by April Eavers (four weeks, healing-focused group)
- Mondays, beginning October 4, from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; facilitated online (standard seven week group)
Location: TeleHealth and/or 6901 S. Pierce St., Littleton, CO 80128 – Suite 350
- $30 – Intake (initial 30-minute appointment to gather information about your situation and be sure group will be a good fit for you)
- $10 – Materials fee for the book used as our workbook titled, Boundaries of Steel: A Workbook for Managing and Recovering from Toxic Relationships
- $50 for each one and a half hour weekly group session
*Note that these fees are going up January 1, 2022 to $40 for an intake and $60 for each group meeting.
Requirements: You must remain active in individual counseling during your attendance with the group and we ask that you commit to attend at least six of the seven group sessions.
Please get in touch soon – groups are filling up quickly!
Forms Required in Advance to Attend a Boundaries of Steel Group
There are two changes in the works right now for these groups:
- We are tracking interest in groups that are four weeks long instead of seven, and focused on healing and future relationships, for those of you who have left the relationship that was so toxic. Please let us know if you are interested in this group. (Update: this group is active now, and fills up very fast – please check with us for the next one that will be offered)
- The workbook and the group are currently designed with a focus on intimate partner relationships. The concepts can easily be applied to other types of relationships, however, and we are tracking interest in a group that will be for people in other types of relationships that are toxic such as with a child, a parent, a friend, a boss, etc. Please let us know if you are interested in this type of group.
***Clarification about narcissism and narcissistic qualities: although the word narcissist is used on this webpage, it is not meant to imply in any way that we diagnose anyone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder without having an appropriate clinical relationship with that person. We have purposely used wording such as “narcissistic qualities” to make the distinction that we are referring to behavior and not a mental health diagnosis.