LifePaths’ Walking the Talk Therapy©
Walking the Talk Therapy© is a form of being in therapy that is a little outside of the box – it is walking therapy and instead of sitting in an office, you and your therapist are walking in an area you choose together such as a local park or local trails.
There can be many benefits to being in therapy in this way. A few of the obvious ones are you are active in a healthy way, and getting fresh air. Also:
- There is a meditative quality to walking that adds to a person’s ability for introspection and insight
- Walking is a bilateral activity and can allow for more creative solutions to problems and quicker processing of issues
- Exercise reduces anxiety and depression and is a great coping skill
- Walking is one of many self-care activities, so walking therapy is two forms of self-care at once!
- Some people are more comfortable with talking side by side rather than face to face
How it works is that initially you will meet with you therapist in one of our offices (DTC/Centennial or Littleton/Ken Caryl) at least one time. You’ll discuss whether walking therapy is a good fit for you and the goals you want to achieve in therapy, where you will meet, what to do if the weather is bad, and things like that. Once that initial set up is complete, you’ll meet your therapist for your walking therapy sessions until your work is complete, or it becomes clear that another approach to therapy would work better.
Get in touch with us to find out if walking therapy is right for you!