Toxic Relationship Healing Group – Boundaries of Steel
I am in the process of re-creating our Boundaries of Steel groups into an online format. It will contain all the content we discuss during the groups, and exercises as you go through each module that include journal prompts/discussion topics from the end of each chapter in the workbook.
The following is about the groups as we had them structured, and the information you learn. The online workshop I create will have the same content!
This toxic relationship healing group is for people who are in a relationship with a person with qualities that you might consider toxic, narcissistic, abusive, or harmful; or who have been in the past. We hope to help you strengthen your self, and your relationship skills. I have called it Boundaries of Steel. That is possibly the most important skill you need – strong boundaries.
Along with talking about many ideas and situations related to boundaries, we discuss topics such as:
- Healthy versus unhealthy relationships
- Attachment styles
- Family of origin issues
- Understanding, forgiving, and healing your self
- Manipulation “techniques” (and why they do that)
- Covert narcissism and other characteristics that get in the way of being healthy together
- How it got like this, and how to keep from getting in a similar relationship again
- Grief – the loss of what the relationship should have been, among other losses
- Healing trauma bonds
- Realistic expectations for the future if you stay in this relationship
We know this is a hard situation to deal with! Let’s help each other figure it out.
You’ll be part of a group of people who have had similar experiences, who will be able to support you the best anyone can, because they will have true knowledge of what you are or have been experiencing. Sharing each others’ stories and support in these groups is absolutely priceless.
You’ll learn valuable skills, both from the counselor and from each other, as well as sharing your own skills and knowledge.
Please join us!
Before you attend a group, we will schedule an intake meeting to discuss the details of the group and determine whether it is a good fit for you. We welcome these requests at any time: day, night, weekend, or holiday. We usually respond during usual business hours, so there could be a delay in getting a response from us. If you don’t hear from any of us within 48 business hours, something went wrong and we would appreciate it if you would contact us again!
Groups are conducted by one of the counselors at LifePaths Counseling Center, and meet weekly via TeleHealth unless otherwise noted. We hope to return to in person meetings as soon as possible.
We are currently taking requests to join three versions of the Boundaries of Steel groups. They are:
- The standard Boundaries of Steel group is seven weeks and covers all of the topics listed above. Although many of the people who participate in this group have experienced a toxic intimate partner relationship, you are welcome to join if the toxic person in your life is in another form of relationship with you, such as a family member, a friend, or a boss. These groups are also usually a combination of people who are still in the toxic relationship and those who have left a toxic relationship.
- The healing-focused Boundaries of Steel group is five weeks long. This was designed for people who have left the relationship and are more interested in the healing aspects of this work such as repairing the trauma associated with that relationship and feeling more healthy as you look forward to a future relationship. We still touch on all of the material of the standard group, there is just less focus on the day-to-day efforts of managing a toxic relationship.
- We also have a group now that is focused on relationships other than an intimate partner, such as family, friend, boss, or whatever role that person holds in your life. We cover all the same material as the standard group but all participants are dealing with someone other than an intimate partner so we can discuss the somewhat different situations that arise for you and how to deal with them. This group is usually seven weeks, the current group beginning in February 2022 will be nine weeks, with one hour meetings instead of one and a half hours.
- $40 – Intake (initial 30-minute appointment to gather information about your situation and be sure group will be a good fit for you)
- $60 for each one and a half hour weekly group session (note that the group running on Tuesdays is $45 per one-hour group)
Requirements: You must remain active in individual counseling during your attendance with the group and we ask that you commit to attend at least six of the seven group sessions. (or four out of five groups if you are in the healing group; or eight out of nine groups if you are in the currently running group focused on family relationships)
***Clarification about narcissism and narcissistic qualities: although the word narcissist is used on this webpage, it is not meant to imply in any way that we diagnose anyone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder without having an appropriate clinical relationship with that person. We have purposely used wording such as “narcissistic qualities” to make the distinction that we are referring to behavior and not a mental health diagnosis.
Disclosure: Our primary business is providing counseling services. Please know that we may receive a small compensation on some links on our site, including the one to purchase the book above. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Any opinions expressed here about these self help resources are our own and we encourage you to base any purchases on what you feel will be of benefit to you.